Preparing for your trip
Congrats! You have received your notice of admission, i.e., a favourable response to your request for admission to a Quebec CEGEP. You must now obtain:
1. Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for Studies
You can apply online for the CAQ and stay up to date on the status of your application. Before starting your online application, make sure you have:
- An email address
- A credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Amex) to pay the fee of $114 CAD
Please note: some of the documents required for your application must be sent by regular mail.
Processing a complete application can take over 20 business days.
2. Canada Study Permit
Once you have received your CAQ or the letter confirming that you will receive your CAQ, you can request a Canada study permit from:
- The Visa Bureau at the Canadian embassy in your country
- Online, using the MyCIC service
Please note: the Canadian government requires fees for each of these documents.
Depending on the country, processing a complete Canada study permit application can take anywhere between 4 and 12 weeks.
3. Medical Exam
Finally, you may have to undergo a medical exam at your own expense in order to obtain your study permit. You will need a medical exam if:
- You lived in or traveled to one of the designated countries or territories for six consecutive months during the year preceding your application for a study permit.
- You will be studying in a program that requires contact with vulnerable people or a program in the health sector.
All information about medical exams is available on the government of Canada website.
Please note: the Canadian Visa Bureau will give you the necessary information and the form that you will need to present to one of the Canadian Visa Bureau’s recognized doctors.
4. Health and Hospitalization Insurance for International Students
As an international student, you must have a health insurance plan that is valid in Canada. Inform yourself about the available group health insurance plans and reciprocal social security agreements.
Online Francization Service
International students who have received their CAQ for studies can access the free online francization service offered by the Quebec government.
- get your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for Studies
- get your Canada Study Permit
- verify if you need a medical exam
- verify which health insurance plan is available for you